Cobb County Public Library is committed to bridging the digital divide and providing digital access to residents across the county, whether inside the library or at home.
Don’t have a laptop or tablet at home? You can check out a Chromebook to get connected to the internet to accomplish most of your work and personal needs.
- Devices are designed primarily for web browsing or to use with the Google Workspace suite of applications such as Google Docs or Google Sheets. If you do not already have a Google account, you will need to create one.
- Each device is equipped with built-in cellular Wi-Fi service from T-Mobile, but you can choose to connect to a different Wi-Fi network.
- Devices can be checked out for 3 weeks and cannot be renewed.
- Only adults age 17 or older may check out a device.
- Patrons must complete a User Agreement in person at any branch prior to the first checkout.
- Patrons may have only one Chromebook checked out at a time on a card.
- Devices will be deactivated once they are overdue.
- Devices must be returned inside a library and presented to a staff member.
- Devices were funded by FCC’s Emergency Connectivity Fund (ECF) program.
You can literally check out the internet! Hotspots enable you to connect your devices over cellular Wi-Fi to the internet.
- Hotspots check out for 7 days. They are not able to be renewed.
- Residents in Cobb County who are authorized to access the internet with their library cards can check out hotspots.
- Overdue fines are $1/day. Hotspots are not able to be renewed.
- Connect up to 10 devices at a time. (Share with your friends and neighbors!)
- Up to 12mbps of download speed.
- 6 hours of battery life before recharge.
The Cobb County Public Library wireless internet network provides free internet access to patrons who bring their wireless-enabled laptop or smart device to any of our 15 libraries.
- Our public Wi-Fi network is called COBBLIBRARY.
- It is an open network with no password.
- There are a few limitations:
- Sound – Anything on your computer or device that makes a sound must be turned off or muted with headphones, etc.
- Bandwidth – In order to provide access for the maximum number of users, there is a limit to the bandwidth available to each user. This should not interfere with most computer or device usage.
Check out an AWE Early Learning tablet, preloaded with educational games, for your little one! Click here to learn more!
- Chromebooks can be checked out by any library cardholders age 17 and over. **Please note: only one Chromebook or AWE Tablet may be checked out at one time.
- Hotspots are restricted to library cards that are internet enabled and are resident library cards. Non-resident Cobb library cardholders are not eligible to check out a hotspot. Educator cards and school PASS accounts also are not eligible to check out hotspots
- Yes, both Chromebooks and hotspots can be placed on hold.
- Another person will be unable to check it out and get on the internet.
- Chromebooks more than 3 days overdue and hotspots more than 5 days overdue may be deactivated by T-Mobile. You also will be charged $1 per day. Hotspots more than 2 weeks overdue will result in a suspension of hotspot circulation privileges.
- The replacement fee for an entire Chromebook kit (Chromebook, charger, keyboard, and carrying case) is $400. Lost or damaged components also can be charged separately.
- The replacement fee for a hotspot is $80 plus a $10 non-refundable processing fee.
- You do not need a Google account to access the internet. You do need one if you want to use Google’s Workspace applications such as Google Docs or Google Sheets.
- You can use cloud-based Microsoft® Office apps such as Word, Excel®, and PowerPoint®, but a Microsoft 365 subscription is required for additional functionality.
- Yes, you must enter in the password as it is displayed on the device. Upper and lower case matters.
- Yes, filtering is provided via Web Guard.
- Please call our Customer Service team at (770) 528-2326.