The Cobb Chamber has assembled some helpful resources to assist you while navigating the new realities and uncertainty brought on by COVID-19.
Check out resources from the Georgia Department of Economic Development, CDC, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Additional resources include information on tax payment delays, economic delivery taskforce, FREE webinars, and small business assistance during this crisis.
2021 New Business Guide
Checklists and Resources for New Businesses
This New Business Guide is provided as a convenient tool for approaching sequential questions and issues as you take your business from an idea to initial planning, to the commencement of business activities.
While this guide covers most of the topics relevant to starting your business, there are variables that may require additional attention. Our team is prepared to answer your questions and to work with you every step of the way.
Cobb County Business Concierge Services
Cobb County values our business community and understands its importance on our local economy. Whether you are at the initial stage of your business concept or an established business looking to expand, we know there are many variables to consider and we are here to help. Our Business Concierge Services assists current and prospective business owners who are looking to start, expand and relocate their business in Cobb County.
For more information, please contact our Business Concierge Team at [email protected] or (770) 528-2018.
Who do we serve?
- Individuals and entrepreneurs wanting to start or create a new business
- Business owners wanting to expand and relocate their business
- Business owners with questions or concerns about changes in Cobb County requirements and processes
- Entrepreneurial support by connecting business owners to technical, financial and market resources
- Small business incentives that assist in job creation, entrepreneurship, small business development, job retention and business recruitment
- Education and assistance in navigating the County permitting process, One Stop Shop
- Advocate for business within the County
- Arrange meetings across departments and provide a single point of contact within the County
- Assist with interactions and problem resolution with all County departments
- Work as an advocate with other agencies and community partners for coordinated solutions to business issues
- Identify and connect clients to additional business resources at the local and state level
- Connecting business to sustainability programs and resources
- Starting a business
- Expanding a business
- Managing a business
- Mentoring and Training
- Workforce Development
- Business Licensing
- Permitting & Inspections
- Online Permit Applications
- Site Plan Review
- Business License and Permitting Forms
- IRS Small Business & Self-employed Tax Center
- Starting a Business in the State of Georgia
- Cobb & Douglas Public Health
- One Stop Shop to assist new and existing companies facilitate and expedite permitting, construction and regulatory processes
- Tax Credits
- 2040 Comprehensive Plan
- County Code of Ordinances and Zoning
- County Info, Maps, Districts
- GIS Map
- Aerial Map of Cobb County
Access this application on a desktop computer for easiest use. Select your current or potential business location and explore demographics information within 1 mile, 3 miles, or 5 miles. Data is gathered by census tract.
Coworking is a concept that has become very popular over the last couple of years. With the ever growing rise of teleworking and telecommuting, these new, non-traditional work environments are becoming the norm for many individuals in and around the Cobb County area who do not want to deal with the distractions of working from home nor the lengthy commute to the office. This story map will outline where the many Coworking, Accelerator, Incubator, and Entrepreneurial centers are located within Cobb County, while also providing information and links to each facility.
View the Georgia 2020 edition of the Small Business Administration's Small Business Resource Guide. Prepare your business for emergencies, Review programs for veterans, and read about 8 tips for finding government contracting opportunities.
Georgia Department of Economic Development
The Georgia Department of Economic Development (GDEcD) is the state’s sales and marketing arm, the lead agency for attracting new business investment, encouraging the expansion of existing industry and small businesses, aligning workforce education and training with in-demand jobs, locating new markets for Georgia products, attracting tourists to Georgia and promoting the state as a destination for arts and location for film, music and digital entertainment projects as well as planning and mobilizing state resources for economic development. Visit georgia.org
UGA, Small Business Development Center
The UGA - SBDC at Kennesaw State University's Coles College of Business offers entrepreneurs, startups, and small businesses in Cobb and Cherokee County the tools and information they need to thrive.
In addition to free, one-on-one consulting services, they offer continuing education in a variety of subjects, including:
- Loan preparation
- Pricing strategies
- Financial score-carding
- Digital marketing strategy and SEO
- Business plan development
- Product development
Cobb Chamber's Walter Kelly, JR. Business Resource Center
The Cobb Chamber's Walter Kelly, Jr. Business Resource Center provides research and data customized to your needs. The center is a source of up-to-date information for companies or individuals searching for custom market data. The center includes databases that provide company profiles, demographic reports with current year estimates and a database of available commercial property. Visit cobbchamber.org
SCORE North Metro Atlanta
SCORE is a non-profit association and resource partner with the Small Business Administration dedicated to entrepreneur education and the formation, growth and success of small businesses. Working and retired executives and business owners who share their expertise across more than 60 industries donate their time as volunteer business counselors, providing confidential counseling and mentoring free of charge. Visit northmetroatlanta.score.org
SCORE also provides:
- Free business tools, templates and tips
- Free mentoring
- Free or inexpensive business workshops (online or at the Chamber)
- Free or inexpensive webinars (24/7)
Let's Talk Business Network
Let's Talk Business Network™ was founded in 1993 in order to be the entrepreneurial support network, which means being a company built upon lifelong learning and sharing from the experiences and journeys of others. Our commitment to everyone we work with is key to their success both from a business and personal perspective, while insuring they build a company that has real market value that can be exited with significant financial returns to the entrepreneur. Learn more at ltbn.com
Edward Lowe Foundation
The Edward Lowe Foundation was established by Ed and Darlene Lowe in 1985. The foundation’s entrepreneurship initiatives are focused on second-stage companies — growth-oriented firms that have moved beyond startup but haven’t yet reached maturity. Our peer learning, leadership education and strategic information programs are geared to help these companies continue growing. We also educate communities about the challenges second-stagers face and how to work with them. Visit edwardlowe.org
U.S. Small Business Administration
Since its founding on July 30, 1953, the U.S. Small Business Administration has delivered millions of loans, loan guarantees, contracts, counseling sessions and other forms of assistance to small businesses. Visit sba.gov/ga for more information.
- SBA provides assistance primarily through its four programmatic functions:
- Access to Capital (Business Financing)
- Entrepreneurial Development (Education, Information, Technical Assistance & Training)
- Government Contracting (Federal Procurement)
- Advocacy (Voice for Small Business)
New Business Phone Directory
Opening a new business is a complicated, though exciting, endeavor. Here are a few numbers and web sites to help you on your way to setting up your new business:
|Acworth Power||(770) 917-8903|
|Cobb EMC||(770) 429-2100|
|Georgia Power||(888) 655-5888|
|Greystone Power Corporation||(770) 942-6576|
|Marietta Power||(770) 794-5150|
|Atlanta Gas Light||(877) 427-2464|
|Austell Gas Systems||(770) 948-1841|
|Gas South||(866) 762-6427|
|Georgia Natural Gas||(888) 442-7489|
|SCANA Energy||(877) 467-2262|
|Auto Emission Inspections||(800) 449-2471|
|Auto Tags||(770) 528-4020|
|Better Business Bureau||(404) 688-4910|
|Board of Health||(770) 514-2300|
|Business License Office (Cobb)||(770) 528-8410|
|Cobb Transit (CobbLinc)||(770) 427-4444|
|Cobb County Government||(770) 528-1000|
|Cobb County State Court||(770) 528-1761|
|Department of Sanitation (Marietta)||(770) 794-5595|
|Department of Driver Services||(678) 413-8400|
|Georgia Department of Labor||(770) 528-6100|
|Land Disturbance Permitting||(770) 528-2147|
|Solid Waste||(770) 528-2500|