Cobb County DOT is committed to improving the quality of our transportation infrastructure in ways that minimize impacts to the environment, including the depletion of irreplaceable resources.
In 2010, to recognize transportation project designs, operations and maintenance practices that incorporate a high level of environmental sustainability, DOT implemented PEACH "Preserving Environment And Community Heritage" Roads, a transportation environmental rating program.
What Is PEACH Roads?
“Sustainability” is commonly understood to describe any human use of resources that does not exhaust those resources. As we improve safety and mobility in Cobb County, transportation sustainability at Cobb DOT is a philosophy that ensures we:
- Protect and enhance the environment.
- Conserve energy and natural resources.
- Preserve or enhance the historic, scenic, and aesthetic project setting characteristics.
- Encourage public involvement in the transportation planning process.
- Integrate smart growth and other sound land-use practices.
- Encourage new and innovative approaches to sustainable design, and how we operate and maintain our facilities.
These concepts are not new to the Department, which has been following many of these practices in one form or another for a number of years. Cobb DOT developed the certification program to better integrate these principles by:
- Recognizing and increasing the awareness of the sustainable methods and practices we already incorporate into our project designs and daily operations.
- Expanding the use of these and other innovative alternatives which will contribute to improving transportation sustainability.
It is also important to understand that sustainability is about balancing what is beneficial to people, while considering what is economically sound, and environmentally compatible. This may or may not necessarily increase costs. However, where costs are increased, it may be warranted when all external costs are considered.
How does certification work?
PEACH Roads is a self-certification program that distinguishes transportation projects and operations based on the extent to which they incorporate sustainable choices. This is primarily an internal management program for Cobb DOT to measure our performance, recognize good practices, and identify where we need to improve.
It also provides Cobb County with a way to demonstrate to the public how we are advancing sustainable practices. Cobb DOT project designs and operations are evaluated for sustainable practices and based on the total credits received, an appropriate certification level is assigned. The rating system recognizes varying certification levels, with the highest level going to designs and operational groups that clearly advance the state of sustainable transportation solutions.
As the PEACH Roads program continues to evolve and grow, Cobb DOT looks forward to your suggestions to improve this program. Please send any comments to the PEACH Roads Program Manager:
Cobb County Department of Transportation
PEACH Roads Program Manager
1890 County Services Parkway
Marietta, GA 30008
- Board of Commissioners PowerPoint Presentation
- PEACH Roads Scorecard
- Design Certification Manual
- PEACH Roads Flyer - Spring 2013