Gritters Branch was built in 1972 and opened on November 19, 1973. It replaced the library that had been maintained in the rear of the county fire station on Brackett Road. “Gritters” comes from the era when there were military districts. The 911th Militia District, known as Gritters, was officially organized in 1839. No record is available of the origin on the name. Legend has it that one of the early grist mills, known for the gritty meal it turned out, became known as Gritters Mill. The name became associated with the area, and then with the district. Gritters Library is located within Shaw Park. It is a well loved neighborhood library within a beautiful wooded oasis.