Back to top

Superior Court Resources and FAQ's


The Superior Court of Cobb County does not provide legal advice, nor is it engaged in the practice of law. This website provides general legal information only. According to O.C.G.A. 15-19-51, it is illegal for anyone but a duly licensed attorney to give legal advice. 

By using this website and the links provided, you acknowledge and agree that the Superior Court of Cobb County and its staff are not responsible for any errors or omissions on the website, or any site linked within, nor for any damages resulting or alleged to result from its use or application.

Use these forms at your own risk. These forms may or may not be appropriate in your particular case. Any desired outcome from the use of these forms cannot be predicted or guaranteed. It is strongly recommended that you seek legal advice.

Court Resources

Case File Designations

The Clerk of the Superior Court of Cobb County annually establishes the following case file numbers in which to record administrative orders/filings for each given category.  The first two numbers designate the year, and the last four digits correspond to the specific category.  For 2024, the Clerk has changed the case file designations. Court Administration is providing the following table for public reference. 

Case File Designation Table

Co-Parenting Seminar

Parents in divorce, custody and other family-law cases involving children are required to attend the Co-Parenting Seminar. The four-hour seminar costs $50 per person. For Co-Parenting Seminar class schedules and to register, call the ADR Office at 770-528-1812 or visit 

Family Law Workshop

Before filing a case, self-represented litigants should attend the Family Law Workshop, a FREE presentation by an attorney that explains the court process for family law cases. The Workshop is offered monthly through Cobb Superior Court's Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Office. For Workshop schedules and to register, call the ADR Office at 770-528-1812 or visit

Lawyer in the Library

Seeking legal advice? Come into the library from Monday through Wednesday from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM for a free 30-minute consultation on non-criminal matters with an attorney from Legal Aid. Appointments are first come, first served and based upon qualifications. Please see the library help desk for intake paperwork.  Questions? Call the Law Library at (770) 528-1884 or email

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request an Emergency Hearing?

Procedure is the same for attorneys and for self-represented litigants.

Step One:  A verified Complaint (lawsuit) with a separate, verified Motion for Emergency Hearing must be filed with the Clerk of Superior Court to get a Judge assignment.  Some Judges prefer to hear their own such motions.  The Clerk of Superior Court is located on the First Floor, Cobb Superior Court Building.  The Motion for Emergency Hearing may be hand-written. It should explain why the case cannot wait for the first available date with the assigned Judge and needs to be heard as an emergency.

Step Two:   A Rule Nisi (an Order to appear before the Assigned Judge) with the first available hearing date for that Judge must be obtained from either the Clerk of Superior Court or the assigned Judge.

Step Three:  A courtesy copy of the verified Complaint and Motion for Emergency Hearing must be presented by email to the Presiding Judge’s Staff Attorney at

Step Four:   The Presiding Judge and the Staff Attorney will review the verified Complaint and Motion for Emergency Hearing to determine whether the issues authorize an emergency hearing.

Step Five:  If the Presiding Judge determines the case should be heard on an emergency basis, the Presiding Judge will issue a separate Rule Nisi (an Order to appear before the Presiding Judge) specifying the date, time, and courtroom.

Step Six:  Legal Service on the opposing party is required.  The moving party (the person/persons requesting the emergency hearing) has the responsibility of seeing that the opposing party is personally served with the lawsuit and hearing date.

Legal Personal Service on the opposing party can be done by a Cobb Sheriff's Deputy or by a Process Server. A process server is a person who delivers a court order and/or documents that compel an individual's presence in court. The process server cannot be a party to the Complaint referenced in the documents. The process server must also show proof that the documents were in fact served, which is typically accomplished with a notarized proof of service.

The names of process servers approved by Cobb Superior Court can be found here.


  • A hearing date will not be provided over the phone. 
  • A request for emergency hearing will not be accepted through the U.S. Postal Service or by phone.
  • Any delay in bringing an emergency request before the Court is deemed as evidence of a lack of a “true” emergency.
How do I obtain a Temporary Protective Order?

Go to the TPO Office located on the 4th Floor of the Cobb Magistrate Court Building, 32 Waddell Street, Marietta, Ga. 30090. The telephone is (770) 528-8024.

How do I find an attorney?

Court employees cannot give legal advice or tell you how to fill out forms. Here are some options if you need legal help:

* Cobb Bar Association Lawyer Referral Line, 770-424-2947
* Atlanta Legal Aid, Cobb office, 770-528-2565.

How do I schedule a hearing for my uncontested divorce?
How do I get an Academic Common Market Form signed?

Students wishing to pursue study in uncommon programs not available within their home state may be able to take advantage of the Academic Common Market. This is a program whereby legal residents of 16 Southern states can attend specified out-of-state graduate programs without paying out-of-state tuition.

The Academic Common Market Form (ACMF) is obtained by contacting the State Coordinator at 404-962-3081.

The ACMF must be completed and notarized prior to presenting the form to the Presiding Judge for signature.

Bring the completed and notarized ACMF to Courtroom 4400 located on the 4th floor of the Superior Court (70 Haynes Street, Marietta, Georgia 30090) on Monday  OR  Wednesday OR  Friday at 11 am.  

The student must appear in person and present the form along with a current driver’s license showing the student's address is in Cobb County.

How do I get a Qualified Domestic Relations Order signed?

A Qualified Domestic Relations Order may be used when a portion of a retirement plan should be paid to another person, often as part of a divorce.   

The QDRO must be signed by both parties and notarized before  presenting it to the Judge. If an attorney for the moving party is presenting the QDRO, that attorney must also sign the QDRO.

A QDRO may be requested in person or by mail it to the Presiding Judge who granted the divorce, at the Superior Court of Cobb County, 70 Haynes Street, Marietta, GA 30090.

No appointment is necessary for presenting in person. If the Judge who granted the divorce is not on duty, the QDRO will be held in that Judge’s office until that Judge is back on duty. After it is signed, the QDRO will be forwarded to the Clerk of Superior Court for filing. A certified copy may be obtained from the Clerk.

How do I get a Certificate of Residency for my liquor license application?

If you are applying for a liquor license and need a Certificate of Residency signed by a Judge, you must present the Certificate of Residency form to the Probate Judge located on the 1st Floor, Cobb Magistrate Court Building, 32 Waddell Street, Marietta, Ga. 30090.

The Superior Court Presiding Judge will not sign a Certificate of Residency/Domicile for any foreign national wishing to obtain a document establishing or proving Georgia residency status.