Important Message About Recently Enacted Legislation
This office cannot provide direction or guidance on the ramifications of the "Constitutional Carry" legislation, which is now in effect, other than to note that this legislation did not affect the issuance of Weapons Carry Licenses.
COVID-19 and Weapons Carry License
Based on the current data, appointments are encouraged, but not required. To make an appointment, visit the link below:
If you do not have email access, call 770-528-1931. The application, except for the signature, MUST be printed, completed, and brought with you to apply. Those wishing to renew Cobb County Weapons Carry Licenses are still encouraged to do so using our mail in renewal process.
Application for Weapons Carry License Note: Click on link - application can found on the bottom left of the screen.
Those who are required to initiate a new application for a Georgia Weapons Carry License include the following:
- You have never had a Weapons Carry License issued in Georgia
- Your Georgia Weapons Carry License expired on its face more than 30 days ago
- Your Georgia Weapons Carry License was issued in another county, other than Cobb. (You may be eligible for a renewal license, but cannot renew by mail.)
- You must be domiciled in Cobb County
- You must be 21 years of age; or
- If you are 18 - 20 years of age, you may apply for a weapons carry license if proof of the following is provided to the court:
- that you have completed basic training and
- that you are actively serving in the armed forces of the United States or that you have been honorably discharged from such service.
- Your valid Georgia identification must show your current Cobb County address (P O Boxes will not be accepted). If your Georgia ID does not show your current Cobb County address, you should be prepared to prove your domicile with at least two forms of documentation such as: Voter Registration Card, Income Tax records, Property tax statements, Utility bills, Lease Agreements. Out of state forms of ID will not be accepted. Active duty military stationed in Georgia from another state may wish to contact the license division regarding additional requirements.
- If you have lived at your current address longer than 60 days and your valid Georgia Driver's License does not reflect your current Cobb County address, pursuant to § 40-5-33, other documents will not be accepted as proof of domicile.
- Applicants must be fingerprinted within 5 days of submitting application.
- If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must show proof of your lawful presence in the U.S.
Please see the list below before arriving to the courthouse.
- No one will be allowed in the office except for the applicants.
Obtaining a Weapons Carry License in Cobb County
In order to obtain a weapons carry license in Georgia, you are required to be photographed, fingerprinted, and must undergo a criminal background investigation by the GBI and FBI.
Upon receipt of the background investigations, if there is nothing to prohibit the issuance of your license, we will issue your license to you. The background investigations may take as long as one month. The license is valid for five years, unless revoked.
To apply for a weapons carry license, you must:
- Apply for your weapons carry license in the county in which you are domiciled
- Be at least 21 years of age
- If you are 18-20 years of age, you may apply for a weapons carry license if adequate proof of the following is provided to the court:
- That you have completed basic training and
- That you are actively serving in the armed forces of the United States or that you have been honorably discharged from such service.
Applicants Must Bring the Following Items to Probate Court
Valid Georgia identification with current Cobb County address (P.O. boxes are not accepted);
If your Georgia ID does not show your current Cobb County address, you must adequately prove your domicile by providing the court sufficient documentation such as (more than one will be required):
- Government issued ID card
- Voter registration card
- Income tax records
- Property tax statement
- Utility bills
- Lease agreement
If you have lived at your current address longer than 60 days and your valid Georgia Driver's License does not reflect your current Cobb County address, pursuant to § 40-5-33, other documents will not be accepted as proof of domicile.
The fee to apply is $78.25 (cash/credit/debit/money order) for the license, fingerprinting, criminal background check and mental health records check. If paying with cash, exact change is preferred due to a coin shortage related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please pay with exact change or with a debit/credit card. Your understanding and patience is greatly appreciated.
- A $2.00 or 3.5% service fee , whichever is higher, will be assessed on all credit card transactions. This service fee goes directly to nCourt; Probate Court’s payment processing vendor. All fees are non-refundable.
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must show proof of your lawful presence in the U.S.
Applicants for Renewal License
The Cobb County Probate Court allows our customers renewing their Weapons Carry License to renew by mail. Customers who would prefer to renew their license in person may continue to do so.
Customers who wish to take advantage of the opportunity to renew their Weapons Carry License by mail should follow the instructions below:
- At this time, we are only able to offer the opportunity to renew by mail to customers who were issued a Weapons Carry License by the Cobb County Probate Court. Customers who have a license from another county who now reside in Cobb County must renew in person.
- Please print and complete the Weapons Carry License Renewal Application ( Note: Click on link - application can found on the bottom left of the screen) and sign the application in front of a notary public. (Applications that are not properly notarized will not be accepted.)
- Mail your completed, notarized application, along with a copy of your photo ID showing your current Cobb County address, a check or money order made payable to the Cobb County Probate Court in the amount of $30 to the following address: Cobb County Probate Court, Attn: License Division, 32 Waddell Street, Marietta, GA 30090.
PLEASE NOTE: Customers who would prefer to renew their license in person may continue to do so by making an appointment using the first time application process detailed above.
Applicants for Replacement License
If your license is lost, damaged, or stolen, you may obtain a replacement by mail. You must report such loss or damage to this court within 48 hours of discovering it, as required by law. You may call 770-528-1931 or email email@example.com to make an initial report to this Court. If you wish to apply for a replacement license, you should
- Print and complete the application form and sign the application in front of a notary public. (Applications that are not properly notarized will not be accepted.)
- If your license was stolen, include a copy of your police report. If your license is damaged, you should return it to the Court with your application.
- Mail in a copy of your current photo ID with the application.
Replacement Fee: $6.00
Eligibility for Obtaining a Weapons Carry License
Please refer to O.C.G.A. §16-11-129
All fees are non-refundable.
If you have any further questions, please call (770) 528-1931.