Media Photography Policy
Representatives of the News Media must obtain approval from the Main Elections Office to use photographic devices in the polling place. If the Elections Office grants approval, it will be in writing via email.
Permission must be requested by the following deadlines:
- Election Day – Request must be received by 5 p.m. on the Monday prior to Election Day.
- Advance Voting – Request must be received by 5 p.m. on the Friday prior to the start of the Advance Voting period.
An ID badge or business card, along with a copy of the email from the Elections Office, must be presented to the Poll Manager upon arrival. The Poll Manager will direct the photographer to a designated area.
The following conditions must be observed:
- For still images - photos may be taken of voters in the process of voting, and of election equipment, if the photographic device is directed toward the back or side of the unit so that the face of the equipment cannot be captured.
- For moving images – videography is allowed if it is a short duration illustrating the general impression that voting is taking place. Videos may be taken of voters in the process of voting, and of election equipment, if the video device is directed toward the back or side of the unit so that the face of the equipment cannot be captured. Sound may be recorded during the video only as incidental background noise. No live feed broadcasts are allowed inside the poll.
- If a voter indicates that he or she does not wish to be photographed, the photographer must stop the activity. Photography may resume after the objecting voter has left the poll. The Poll Manager may stop or delay the activity at any time if it is causing a disruption to voting or a disturbance in the poll.
The Cobb County Board of Elections & Registration may restrict access or rescind permission for the use of photographic devices in any polling place -- O.C.G.A. § 21-2-413
To request approval, please download and submit the Media Photography Request Form.