The primary function of the Probate Court is to ensure that estates and guardianships are administered in accordance with the law. The Judge of the Probate Court determines controversies involving estates and guardianships by conducting trials both with and without a jury.
The Probate Court of Cobb County has exclusive jurisdiction in the following matters:
- Probate of wills;
- Appointment and removal of executors and administrators;
- Sale and disposition of estate property;
- Appointment and removal of guardians of minors and incapacitated adults;
- Audit of returns of executors, administrators, and guardians;
- Commitments of the mentally ill, as well as alcohol and drug abusers;
- Issuance of marriage licenses;
- Issuance of weapons carry licenses; and
- Miscellaneous services such as issuance of fireworks permits, recording of elected officials’ oaths and bonds, and certificates of residence.