Septic systems have three components:
- The septic tank removes large solids, protecting absorption field from clogs.
- The absorption field distributes wastewater into the soil.
- The soil filters clean and moves wastewater from absorption field to ground or surface water.
- Pump septic tank every 3-5 years, removing all liquids and solids
- Wastewater back up into home
- Elevated bacteria levels downstream
Common Causes of Failure:
- Unsuitable Soils
- Construction Faults
- Onsite Water Management
- Fix Water Leaks
- Use Low-Flow Fixtures
- Check Water Pressure – should be 80 psi
- Do not use the toilet or sink to dispose of household waste (medicine, cleaners, etc.)
- Do not use the garbage disposal
- Limit use of drain cleaners, bleach, and other strong chemicals in toilets and sinks
- Direct downspouts and other runoff away from the absorption field