Changes to Juvenile Court Traffic Summons Due to COVID-19 (Updated)
To maximize safety during the Covid-19 pandemic, the Juvenile Court of Cobb County and the Cobb County Office of the Solicitor General have established alternative options to address the traffic citation(s) received by your child. The goal is to reduce the number of citizens physically appearing for court at the same time, while maintaining efficient access the administration of justice related to the alleged offense(s).
If there is an admission to the charge(s) against your child you will utilize one of the following options:
- You and your child can come to the Juvenile Court any day prior to the scheduled hearing, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to address the charge(s). You will be asked to sign a Waiver of Legal Rights form (copy attached), and if in agreement will be able to pay the monetary fine associated with the specific traffic offense(s).
- On the hearing date listed on your summons, using the ZOOM platform you and your child can participate in a virtual administrative hearing with representatives from the Juvenile Court Clerk’s Office and the Office of the Solicitor General. Your case will not be heard in a formal court hearing. You will be asked to sign a Waiver of Legal Rights form, and if in agreement will be able to pay the monetary fine associated with the specific traffic offense(s).
Please log into the following Zoom link at the date/time specified on your summons:
If there is a denial of the charge(s) against your child, immediately notify the Juvenile Court Clerk’s Office at 770-528-2220 or Cynthia Stephens, Traffic Court Clerk at 770-528-2269 and a trial date will be scheduled. New notice will be mailed out with the new court date for trial.
If one of the offenses referenced on your citation is Driving Without A License, you have the right to be represented by a court appointed attorney; please contact attorney Mark Bryce at either 770-528-1962 or via e-mail at [email protected] .
If there are any questions regarding this process, please contact the Cobb Juvenile Court’s main line at (770) 528-2220.
**Tips for effective videoconference participation
- Before the hearing date, become familiar with the ZOOM technology platform by watching available tutorials on the internet.
- Find a quiet location where you are less likely to be disturbed during the hearing.
- Log into the session at least five minutes prior to the hearing start time.
- Turn off all other computer/cell phone functions, including notification.