Cobb's Chief Appraiser talks assessment appeals
June 8, 2023
Cobb Chief Appraiser Stephen White interviewed with Fox5 today for a segment on this year’s Notice of Assessments that have most homeowners seeing increased valuation due to an “aggressive” real estate market.
White told the TV station:
- Assessment appeals are up this year, but not by an overwhelming amount.
- The 45-day deadline for filing an appeal is approaching for most, with the deadline date printed on the homeowner’s assessment.
- The most successful appealers bring additional information and evidence to the hearing.
- Most who appeal find doing it online through cobbassessor.org an easy process.
- The assessment is based on the home’s value on January 1, 2023, and uses comparable sales from 2022.
- The increases are not unique to Cobb County; they are being seen statewide, with counties to our north and west seeing larger assessment increases.
- State law mandates that each county assess property values each year and do so accurately. Failing to do so could bring penalties.
- The Tax Assessor’s office will assist with questions on appeals. Contact them at 770-528-3100, visit them in person at 736 Whitlock Ave, Suite 200, Marietta, or use the website at cobbassessor.org.