Cobb's Board approves $98M in ARPA projects
February 14, 2023 - In what Chairwoman Cupid described as a “pivotal moment in this county,” the Board of Commissioners approved $98 million in projects from the county’s federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) allocation.
“These funds will be transformational,” Chairwoman Cupid said. “I’m proud of this board for being uniquely thoughtful in engaging with a consultant to see how we can be strategic in setting up our county for success in the many years and generations to come.”
The appropriation approved Tuesday comprises most of the county’s $147 million allocation from the federal government. Congress approved ARPA in 2021 to help local governments recover from the pandemic and to stimulate the economy. Cobb County worked with a consultant to engage residents, nonprofits, and community groups in how best to distribute these funds. Of the 261 applications received by the county, 85 received funding after extensive vetting through a committee process.
The ARPA funds will be distributed in five categories:
- Community Health ($24M)
- Mental health programs for youth and adults
- Public Health disparities include newborn health programs, Vision to Learn, and veterans’ programs.
- Substance abuse programs, including opioid treatment and recovery initiatives, accountability court support, and Cobb County Board of Health’s Opioid Use Reduction Project.
- Healthcare capacity includes support for the Good Samaritan Health Center and CDPH Community Health.
- COVID-19 mitigation includes support for the Cobb Medical Examiner and Cobb Emergency Management Agency.
- Support Services ($23M)
- Affordable Housing programs, including Habitat for Humanity.
- Programs to combat homelessness and to support the homeless.
- Rental and mortgage assistance programs.
- Economic Development ($22M)
- Workforce programs, assistance for young professional development.
- Small and minority business programs
- Child care learning center grant program
- Public Safety ($10M)
- Co-responder program for behavioral health emergencies
- 911 clinician program
- Case backlog court project
- Cardiac monitors for first responders
- County Infrastructure ($19M)
- CDPH South Cobb Public Health Center
- Healthy county building initiative
- Stormwater management project funding
- Water pump station projects.
Go to www.cobbcounty.org/ARPA to view the complete list of projects, project descriptions, and goals.