As Cobb County continues to grow in population, educational opportunities, professional prospects and recreational options, it is vitally important that our roadways develop and expand to support that progress. One of our fastest-growing areas, Cumberland, will soon serve as an even greater hub for sports, music and culinary enthusiasts with the addition of SunTrust Park and The Battery in 2017. However, plans for facilitating increased travel in Cobb have been in the works for years—a decade or more in some cases—long before the county became the new home for the Braves.
One such long-planned project is the Windy Hill – Terrell Mill Connector, a proposed extension of Bentley Road. The new four-lane road will begin at the intersection of Spectrum Circle/Interstate North Parkway and Windy Hill Road and connect at the current Bentley Road and Terrell Mill Road intersection. This project will serve as a reliever for Powers Ferry Road by absorbing traffic normally traveling that route to and from Windy Hill Road and Terrell Mill Road. With the addition of a landscaped median, multi-use trail, sidewalk and lighting, the road will be an excellent new travel option that connects to the Bob Callan Trail System and provides a congestion-alleviating alternative access route to the future I-75 Northwest Corridor Express Lanes.
Karyn Matthews, P.E., Cobb County DOT Project Manager
Wayne Mote, P.E., HNTB Project Manager
Concept Approved by Board of Commissioners - February 28, 2017
The concept map for the Windy Hill - Terrell Mill Connector was presented at the Board of Commissioners Work Session Monday, February 27, 2017, at 1:30 p.m. The Board approved the concept at its regular meeting Tuesday, February 28, at 7 p.m.
Public Information Open House - November 15, 2016
A public information open house (PIOH) for the Windy Hill Road – Terrell Mill Road Connector project was held November 15, 2016, from 5 to 7 p.m. at Brumby Elementary School in Marietta. Written statements concerning this project were accepted until November 29, 2016.
The Windy Hill Road - Terrell Mill Road Connector project is a proposed 0.80-mile limited-access, four-lane thoroughfare connecting Windy Hill Road to Terrell Mill Road. This road will begin at the existing intersection of Spectrum Circle/Interstate North Parkway and Windy Hill Road, and proceed north along a new location alignment to the existing intersection of Bentley Road and Terrell Mill Road.
- Connections to the Worthington and Arlington Park Apartments, as well as to the Corporate Plaza office park, will be maintained via the existing traffic circle.
- The roadway section will consist of a raised landscaped median, a multi-use trail on the left (west) shoulder, and a sidewalk on the right (east) shoulder.
- Lighting will be installed along both shoulders.
- The multi-use trail will include a connection to the Bob Callan Trail system.
- Construction on new location alignment will greatly limit any potential traffic disruptions to both Windy Hill Road and Terrell Mill Road.
- The roadway provides an alternate route from Windy Hill Road to access future connection point to I-75 Northwest Corridor Express Lanes.
- Air Quality Report (April 2017)
- Cultural Resources
- Archaeology (currently under review)
- Ecology Report (June 2017)
- Aquatics Survey
- Terrestrial Plant Survey
- Stream and Wetland Delineation
- Regional Permit for Stream Impacts (2018)