KCB Seeking AmeriCorp VISTA Intern
AmeriCorp VISTA Description
Title: Cobb County, GA VISTA Program Facilitator
Sponsoring Organization: Keep Cobb Beautiful
Project Name: Keep Cobb Beautiful Adopt-A-Green Spot Facilitator
Project Period: May 2019 - May 2020
Compensation: Living Allowance and Relocation Allowance
Site Name: Cobb County, GA
- Primary: Mableton/Austell Neighborhoods
- Secondary: Marietta Neighborhoods
VISTA Assignment Objectives and Member Activities
Goal of the Project: To identify low-income communities with food security issues and provide access to fresh fruits and vegetables through community gardens; increasing community engagement, empowerment and partnerships to help eradicate local poverty.
To facilitate a community gardening program for low-income residents to have easy and convenient access to community gardens within walking distance.
- Mapping garden sites and food desert locations/creating a plan to address most impoverished communities and what crops to grow/working with GIS (Geographic Information System) team.
- Research low-income locations and identify ideal garden locations
- Work with volunteers to build garden sites in identified locations.
- Plot garden locations on county GIS mapping database for community members and businesses to identify quickly online.
- Create Citizen Action Group and collect suggestions and ideas from residents
- Working with KCB volunteers and Master Gardener Association
- Work on data and detailed plans to move project forward to year 2
To facilitate community engagement and partnerships with the local business community to provide on-going funding and support for the gardening program – hence implementing the Adopt-A-Green-Spot Program as a community collaboration.
- Identify community business leaders and research funding opportunities
- Secure support/funding from business community
- Facilitate partnership between community members and the business.
- Create on-going business agreement to ensure the sustainability of the AAGS program.
Email - [email protected]
Phone - (770)-528-1135