City of Smyrna Notice for a General Election
The City of Smyrna, Georgia will hold a General Election on Tuesday November 5, 2019, to elect the following positions: Mayor, elected at large, and Council Member Wards 1-7. For each office, the candidate receiving a majority of the votes cast shall be elected. Where no candidate receives a majority of the votes cast, a Runoff election shall be held on December 3, 2019. The polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and the election will be held at the following polling places:
- SMYRNA 1A at Argyle Elementary School, 2420 Spring Rd., Smyrna GA 30080
- SMYRNA 2A at Smyrna Fire Station #3, 2825 Park Rd., Smyrna GA 30080
- SMYRNA 3A at Smyrna Community Center, 200 Village Green Circle, Smyrna GA 30080
- SMYRNA 4A at Teasley Primary at Brown Elementary School, 3265 Brown Rd., Smyrna GA 30080
- SMYRNA 5A at Belmont Hills Elementary School, 605 Glendale Pl., Smyrna GA 30080-1892
- SMYRNA 6A at Campbell Middle School, 3295 S. Atlanta Rd., Smyrna GA 30080
- SMYRNA 7A at Life Church Smyrna Assembly of God, 4100 King Springs Rd., Smyrna GA 30082
Qualifying for candidates will open Tuesday, August 20, 2019 and close on Thursday, August 22, 2019. The hours for qualifying shall be between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. each day, but will close for a one (1) hour lunch break from 12 noon until 1 p.m. Qualifying shall be held in the Human Resources Room at the Smyrna City Hall, 2800 King St., Smyrna GA. Each candidate must meet the qualifications for office as prescribed by State Law and Municipal Code. Each candidate or his or her designee shall file a Notice of Candidacy and Affidavit, such form is available at www.sos.ga.gov and will also be provided at the qualifying location. The qualifying fee shall be payable by cash, check, or money order made out to the City of Smyrna in the following amount:
- Mayor: $756.00
- Council: $567.00
Residents of the City of Smyrna may register to vote through the close of business Tuesday, October 7, 2019. Those who are qualified to register to vote for this election may do so by clicking “Register to Vote” at www.sos.ga.gov/elections or by appearing in person at any of the designated places for registering Cobb County residents or the Smyrna City Clerk’s Office. If you have moved into, out of, or within the city limits of Smyrna and have not notified the Cobb Board of Elections and Registration, please do so no later than October 7, 2019.
Advance Voting will be available Monday through Friday from October 14, 2019 through November 1, 2019 during the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Elections and Registration office located at West Park Government Center, 736 Whitlock Avenue, Marietta, GA 30064. Additional Advance Voting locations will be available October 28, 2019 through November 1, 2019 during the hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Voters may vote at any of the following locations:
- Austell Community Center, 2625 Joe Jerkins Blvd., Austell, GA 30106
- Ben Robertson Community Center, 2753 Watts Rd., Kennesaw, GA, 30144
- Powder Springs Community Development Bldg., 4488 Pineview Dr., Powder Springs, GA 30127
- Smyrna Community Center, 200 Village Green Circle, Smyrna, GA 30080
Voters may apply to Vote-by-Mail by submitting an application to the Cobb County Elections Office at P.O. Box 649, Marietta, GA 30061-0649 or by faxing an application to 770-528-2458. Applications will be available on our Absentee Voting page. Mail-in ballots must be received by 7 p.m. Tuesday, November 5, 2019 either through the mail or personally delivered to the Cobb County Elections Office.
City residents may call 770-528-2581 for any questions regarding registration or voting.
This 1st day of August, 2019.
Janine Eveler, Director
Cobb County Board of Elections and Registration
Janine Eveler, Director-Cobb County Board of Elections and Registration
email: [email protected]