The primary function of the Probate Court is to ensure that estates and guardianships are administered in accordance with the law. The Judge of the Probate Court determines controversies involving estates and guardianships by conducting trials both with and without a jury.
The Probate Court of Cobb County has exclusive jurisdiction in the following matters:
- Probate of wills;
- Appointment and removal of executors and administrators;
- Sale and disposition of estate property;
- Appointment and removal of guardians of minors and incapacitated adults;
- Audit of returns of executors, administrators, and guardians;
- Commitments of the mentally ill, alcohol and drug abusers;
- Issuance of marriage licenses;
- Issuance of weapons carry licenses; and
- Miscellaneous services such as issuance of fireworks permits, recording of elected officials’ oaths and bonds, and certificates of residence.
The Probate Court Judge, Clerk, and staff are committed to providing you with excellent customer service. We will be happy to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have about probate court services or procedures. Please be advised, however, that state law prohibits our staff from rendering legal advice, restating the law, or recommending specific ways to pursue legal action.
Nothing on this web site is intended to advise anyone regarding legal remedies for a particular circumstance. Many matters of law are quite complex and may require special knowledge of legal principles and procedures. If you have a problem involving the interpretation of the law, we suggest you contact an attorney licensed in the State of Georgia. Although we cannot recommend a specific attorney, you may contact the Cobb County Attorney Referral Service at (770) 424-7149.
32 Waddell Street
Marietta, GA 30090
(770) 528-1996 (Fax)
Hours of Operation (excluding holidays):
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Arrive no later than 4:30 p.m. to allow us time to process any pleadings to be filed with the Court. No debit/credit cards accepted after 4:30 p.m.
- Estates (770) 528-1900
- Firearms (770) 528-1930
- Marriage (770) 528-1931